After immersing myself in Fields Of The Nephilim on Sunday I suppose it is only inevitable that one of my ‘similar artist’ type investigation takes me down a route to another related genre. This morning I have been listening to Autumn’s Grey Solace’s debut album, from 2000, Within the Depths of a Darkened Forest.
Ethereal Wave grew out of Gothic Rock via the early work of Cocteau Twin and Dead Can Dance, and anyone who is already acquainted with Shoegaze and Dreampop will hear the overlap with those two genres.
Here is a list of albums to check out, both in terms of influencing it’s development and bands from within the genre.
- The Cure – Faith (1981)
- Siouxsie and the Banshees – A Kiss In The Dreamhouse (1982)
- Dead Can Dance – Dead Can Dance (1984)
- This Mortal Coil – It’ll End In Tears (1984)
- Cocteau Twins – Victorialand (1986)
- Area – Radio Caroline (1987)
- All About Eve – All About Eve (1988)
- This Ascension – Tears In Rain (1989)
- Slowdive – Just For A Day (1991)
- Low – If I Could Live In Hope (1994)
- Faith And Disease – Beauty And Bitterness (1993)
- Lycia – Estrella (1998)
- Aenima – Revolutions (1999)
- Trance To The Sun – Atrocious Virgin (2001)
- Autumn’s Grey Solace – Within The Depths Of A Darkened Forest (2002)
- Loveliecrushing – CRWTH (2010)