1. If I Had a Heart
2. When I Grow Up
3. Dry and Dusty
5. Triangle Walks
6. Concrete Walls
7. Now’s the Only Time I Know
8. I’m Not Done
9. Keep the Streets Empty for Me
The creepy electronic tones on Karin Elisabeth Dreijer Andersson’s debut, Fever Ray, makes me think of a Doom Metal band that’s gone synthpop. I hear all sorts of musical reference points in both the vocals and the music as I listen to this album. A smattering of Propaganda here, a bit of Depeche Mode there, some Björk, a pinch of Katatonia, and some Kate Bush to name a few. It also takes me back to an alternative universe ‘80s era of ZTT Records, you know, around the time of Art Of Noise et al. But, in slow motion. Excellent stuff.
The Guardian – http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/mar/27/fever-ray
The Onion (A.V. Club) – http://www.avclub.com/articles/fever-ray-fever-ray,25935/
Delusions of Adequacy – http://www.adequacy.net/2009/04/fever-ray-fever-ray/
Drowned In Sound – http://drownedinsound.com/releases/14201/reviews/4136379
New Musical Express – http://drownedinsound.com/releases/14201/reviews/4136379
Tiny Mix Tapes – http://www.tinymixtapes.com/music-review/fever-ray-fever-ray
Slant Magazine – http://www.tinymixtapes.com/music-review/fever-ray-fever-ray
All Music Guide – http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:jnfrxzykld6e~T1
Dot Music – http://uk.launch.yahoo.com/090401/33/220xz.html
Prefix Magazine – http://uk.launch.yahoo.com/090401/33/220xz.html
Cokemachineglow – http://www.cokemachineglow.com/record_review/4328/feverray-feverray-2009
Dusted Magazine – http://www.dustedmagazine.com/reviews/4859
- Singer-Songwriter, born in December 1986, Hereford, England.
- Writing songs since she was 14.
- Genre(s): Folktronica, Indie pop, Electropop, Synthpop.
- First live show: University talent show.
- Next gig: UK tour starts 25th March 2010 @ Thekla, Bristol.
- “Wish I Stayed” demo, downloadable from website.
- “Under The Sheets” single 15 November 2009
- Under The Sheets
- Fighter Plane
- Under The Sheets – Jakwob remix
- The first single, “Starry Eyed”, from the debut album, Lights, is due for release on 22nd February 2010.
- The debut album, Lights, is due for release on 1st March 2010.
- Website – http://elliegoulding.co.uk/
- Wikipedia – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellie_Goulding
- BBC – http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8442389.stm
- The Guardian – http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/dec/02/ellie-goulding-review
2. Deadbeat Summer
3. Laughing Gas
4. Terminally Chill
5. (If I Knew, I’d Tell You)
6. 6669 (I Don’t Know If You Know)
7. Should Have Taken Acid with You
8. Mind, Drips
9. Psychic Chasms
10. Local Joke
11. Ephemeral Artery
12. 7000 (Reprise)
Neon Indian’s Psychic Chasms manages to still sound distinct while drawing from a wide variety of sounds. I hear a whole number of similarities to other things vying in the tracks, like M83, MGMT, Maps, Daft Punk, 80’s Synthpop, 70’s glam, 8-bit Nintendo sounds, and disco all wrapped up in a trippy psychedelic haze. To sound both retro and futuristic at the same is a pretty amazing achievement. Say, are you boys on drugs?
Drowned In Sound – http://drownedinsound.com/releases/14886/reviews/4138421
Prefix Magazine – http://www.prefixmag.com/reviews/neon-indian/psychic-chasms/33465/